“The Sun see’s your body. The Moon see’s your Soul.” – Unknown
The Moon and it’s subtle beauty always attracted me as a child. Often I would be up on the rooftop gazing at the moon, comforting myself with the thought that like an old acquaintance, the moon just might be looking back at me. Little did I know that along in my spiritual journey the moon would unknowingly make its dominant presence felt as a reminder of our relationship, long established on the lonely roof-top.
With arrival of the New Moon today on 17th March 2018, the day is marked by presence of one of the two most common lunar phenomenon, i.e. the full moon and the new moon. A time when the Moon snuggles itself in between the Sun and the Earth, the New Moon is not visible to human eye as it’s visible part faces away from Earth; giving an impression as if it has chosen to suddenly disappear from our lives. On the other hand a Full moon is when the Earth is in between the Sun and the Moon, with the visible part of the Moon shining to all its glory for star-gazers to enjoy.
A monthly astronomical phenomenon, the lunar cycle is not merely a theatrics for us to be entertained with, but it is also a path to achieving some alignment with the cosmos. Based on my personal experiences, the moon has a way of impacting us physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually depending on its astronomical progression. Embedded with the divine vibrations, the Moon is a storehouse of energy for seekers of creative powers, manifestations, adaptability, and psychic prowess.
Full Moon: Why it impacts us?
The lunar energies are at it’s peak during full moon as the gravitational pull between Earth and Moon is most intense. The Moon physically pulls things towards itself, causing a discernible impact on the movement of Pranas (e.g. blood) inside our bodies. This surge in blood flow causes a chemical and vibrational shift in our mental and emotional activities; bringing the hidden subconscious thoughts into the light of the conscious mind.
A feminine energy, the Full Moon is beneficial for gaining deeper insight and awareness of things happening within and outside of self. A great time for creative folks to benefit from the intense flow of emotions and ideas resulting from the Full Moon.
New Moon: Why it impacts us?
On the other hand, a New Moon or Amavasya, the Moon reflects no light on Earth. The reduced gravitational pull between Earth and Moon, slows down a number of environmental and vibrational process within beings. For this reason in Hindu culture many people keep a fast during new moon to reduce strain on already slow digestive system. It is a time of introspection and calm.
The New Moon is a very raw and masculine energy. Therefore it is most suitable for people who seek to attain liberation through dissolution of Karmic bonds. In my personal experience, New Moon nights are great to dissolve any unresolved, hidden or stubborn emotional wound within self. This is a good time for integration of un-integrated emotional aspects inside a person. Suddenly the absence of light makes you revere the light ever more.
Impact of Full Moon and New Moon
To better help the readers identify and benefit from their behavioural changes as a result of lunar phases, I am enumerating a short list of common shifts that one might notice in their behaviour:
- Physical: Restlessness, sleeplessness, lethargy, sudden changes in body temperatures, headaches, increased heartbeat, idiopathic stomach ailments etc.
- Emotional and Mental: Anger bouts, irritability, sudden weeping bouts, mental confusion, hyper activity, confusion, extreme happiness etc.
- Spiritual: Light-headedness, feeling of floating in air, feeling intense vibrational shifts, intensified intuitive energies, more realistic interactions with higher/lower beings, etc.
Please note, the above mentioned changes are conditional on the predominance of a specific Guna within a person.
The nature has given us a wonderful opportunity twice every month, to capitalize on Moon’s energy to advance our journey for enlightenment. In order to make a better utilization of such phases, I am enlisting some easy to follow practices for the seekers:
1. Moon Bathing and Moon Gazing: Suitable during the Full Moon, seeker can simply sit under the moon light, while gazing at the Moon. One can visualize the Moon light seeping inside from their Crown Chakra and flowing all the way to your feet Chakras. The moon bath is very effective for people seeking emotional and vibrational purification.
2. Writing: In order to release and resolve any confusing emotion, the seeker write down their feelings in a journal or a piece of paper while sitting under the lunar light. Any suppressed emotion, writer’s block, new idea that hasn’t been able to surface out, will come to light through this writing ritual. One can use writing as a tool to also manifest a desire by simply writing it down on paper and burning it while praying for universal support. This activity is suitable during both New and Full Moons.
3. Dancing and singing: Dancing and singing are most handy tools for causing a positive vibrational shift within yourself. And doing so during the dominant lunar phases will help you to further increase the strength of auric body.
4. Charging Crystals: In my experience crystals like Amethyst, Pearl, Diamond and Moldavite are more suitable to be charged during Full Moon. Whereas Rudraksha, Black Agate, Obsidian and Black Tourmaline are suggested to be charged during New Moon nights. After keeping them overnight, preferably in salt water, one can wear it the next day.
5. Connecting to your Angels and Spirit Guides: Lunar phases are great to strengthen the connect with your Deities and Spirit Guides. The intensification of vibrations around the Earth reduces the vibratory gap between the seeker and higher beings to some level. However, word of caution is that one must be careful of any lower being impacting you. For this reason it is suggested that one must keep a protective stone with themselves, specially during New Moon.
6. Salt and Coffee Baths: To better manage the surge or regression of Lunar energies on self, one should take a salt water bath or coffee bath from a week leading to the lunar phase. Salt and coffee act as natural absorbent of any negative vibratory footprint that might have been left. People can also use Sage and other organic incenses to purify self and the environment.
I sincerely hope this piece of information helps you in your spiritual journey as it has been for me.
For more information or discussion, please feel free to connect with me.
Love and light!